Electrolyte-rich food9th August 2023
Hydration tips for athletes14th August 2023
Best way to stay hydrated in summer
A lot of places around the world are facing critically high temperatures. Staying hydrated during the summer is extremely important as the hot environment and physical activity may lead to faster fluid loss. Here are some tips to keep your body healthy and hydrated:
- Do not forget to drink water. Water is an effective way to stay hydrated. Drink when you are thirsty and not only, motivate yourself to drink plain water. Try to drink more than usual if you are training or spending more time outdoors.
- Limit alcohol. Alcohol consumption can have a significant impact on hydration, and it is generally dehydrating. Here are some effects of it: Diuretic effect: increased urine production which leads to increased fluid loss. Increased perspiration: increased sweating, which also contributes to fluid loss.
- Consume hydrating food. Don’t forget to include in your daily diet: watermelon, grapes, berries, peaches, and cucumbers.
- Pay attention to hard-digested food. Have you ever heard about “thermogenic” food? All forms of proteins like fish, meat, and eggs are thermogenic. It means they create heat inside of your body and slow down the metabolism.
- Avoid sugary drinks. Drinks like soda and sweetened fruit juices can be dehydrating and lead to spikes in blood sugar levels.
- Infuse Water with Fruits and Herbs. If you don’t appreciate a plain water taste, try to add some fresh herbs like mint or some slices of lemon, lime, or cucumber.
- Stay indoors during Peak hours. Try to avoid the hottest hours, between 12 pm to 16 pm. If you need to stay outside, make sure you are wearing breathable clothes and seek shade.
- Carry a reusable water bottle. Keep a bottle of water with you all the time, this way you can also reduce plastic waste.
- Drink before after and during physical activity.
- Set a hydration reminder. If you forget to drink water, the best way for you to stay hydrated would be to set an alarm or download a hydration application.
By following tips, you can stay well-hydrated during the summertime and be full of energy.